Jakarta has been named the most popular location as per tag stories and ranked 8th most posted among the cities in the world in 2017 on image sharing site Instagram.

The city is not a top international tourist destination, although it ranked as the fifth fastest growing destination among 132 cities according to Master Card Global Destination Cities Index published in September, 2017. 59.1% of visitors came for business, while the other 40.9% were visiting for leisure.

According to Euromonitor International’s latest Top 100 City Destinations Ranking, Jakarta ranked at 83 with more than 3.5 million international tourists visited in a year, 48.5% higher in comparison to the previous year. In 2017 World Travel and Tourism Council’s list Jakarta was among the top 10 fastest growing tourism cities in the world.

Most of the visitors attracted to Jakarta are domestic tourists. As the gateway of Indonesia, Jakarta often serves as a stop-over for foreign visitors on their way to other Indonesian tourist destinations such as Bali, Lombok, Komodo Island and Yogyakarta. Jakarta is trying to attract more international tourist by MICE tourism, by arranging increasing numbers of conventions.

In 2012, the tourism sector contributed 2.6 trillion rupiah (US$268.5 million) to the city’s total direct income of 17.83 trillion rupiah (US$1.45 billion), a 17.9% increase from the previous year 2011.

The popular heritage tourism attractions are in Kota and around Merdeka square. Kota is the centre of old Jakarta, with its Maritime Museum, Kota Intan drawbridge, Gereja Sion, Wayang Museum, Stadhuis Batavia, Fine Art and Ceramic Museum, Toko Merah, Bank Indonesia Museum, Bank Mandiri Museum, Jakarta Kota Station, and Glodok (Chinatown).
Kota Tua was named the most-visited destination in Indonesia in 2017 by image-sharing platform Instagram.

In the old ports of Sunda Kelapa, the tall masted pinisi ships are still anchored. The Jakarta Cathedral with neo-gothic architecture in Central Jakarta also attracts architecture enthusiasts.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *